What every first-time mom needs
Welcome to the ‘That One Thing’ series. A fun set of posts covering that one thing we often contemplate as parents. This is the third post in the series and it’s all about the best first-time mom tips you must know.
This post will help you in two ways
- when you are a first-time mom
- to understand what to expect and how to handle the challenges of being a new mom including the best tips
- and when you are a new father, friend or family member
- to understand what a new mom is going through and how to support her through this challenging, but wonderful time
So what is that one thing every first-time mom needs?
What do you think? Leave a comment and let me know your biggest need as a first-time mom.
And, read on to discover the challenges of being a new mom included in the H.E.L.P acronym.
Click here to save this first-time mom tips post in your parenting board on Pinterest
Read the other posts in the That One Thing series:
- What Every Child needs
- watch the video
- Things Every Healthy Family Does
- What Every Mom needs
- Every Parent wants
- Superfoods in Pregnancy – Your Pregnancy Nutrition Simplified
- 11+ of the Best Pregnancy Resources you must know about
This post contains affiliate links, meaning I may be compensated when you make a purchase after clicking a link, with no added cost to you.
That one thing every first-time mom needs
Even without me mentioning it earlier, you knew first-time moms need help. Help with the baby, with hormones, with feelings of anxiety and definitely help to cope with sleep deprivation and emotional stress.
This post, being part of the That One Thing Series, of course, includes the building blocks of the H.E.L.P acronym and an easy action plan at the end.
And today we will take it one step further by not only discussing an action plan to help first-time moms, but an additional one to also help fathers support a new mom.
First-time mom tips and secrets
- Everything you need to know about How to be Confidently Beautiful Mom
- the one thing that saved my sanity as a new mom and it will help you too!
- when you seriously need your deserved rest during pregnancy: Check out my all-time BEST comfortable pregnancy tip
- You will be so glad you did. I know, because this was not only one of my first pregnancy investments but also one of the greatest ones!
Let’s start by having a look at the building blocks to help you understand the needs of a new mom.
As we said, the needs of every first time mom are built around the acronym H.E.L.P and include four building blocks:
- H for Healthy mom and baby
- E for Emotional support
- L for lots of Love
- P for Persistent encouragement
Time to break down each of these and discover the benefits of building on the 4 blocks. In the end, we will also discuss those easy action plans to improve on these.
Healthy mom and baby
When you ask any new mom what she wishes for most, she will probably admit to wanting a healthy baby. And, rightly so, because when a baby is sick or unwell, so is the mom and vice versa.
Therefore when both mom and baby are healthy it will relieve stress and strengthen the mom-baby bond. Breastfeeding will be improved and happy hormone boosted which will, in turn, protect both mom and happy against disease.
Are you a new mom? Or a new dad? Then here a couple of easy tips to stay healthy:
Top first time mom tips to stay healthy
- always stay hydrated
- eat superfoods – grab your free guide here
- get all the nutrients and vitamins you need
- have proper prenatal care
Remember to limit stress and anxiety during pregnancy as it will directly affect the development of your baby’s body and brain. One of the few things you can actually control during pregnancy so be sure to do that!
Tips and inspiration
- check out this great survival guide for the first few weeks with a newborn – you will love it!
First-time moms need a lot of emotional support. It will help to reduce stress levels and improve both mom and baby’s health and wellness. When they can trust in having the support and encouragement they need, anxiety will be limited and their confidence will skyrocket. All of these together will result in a better quality of family life.
A good start to emotional support is building up your own confidence as a first-time mom. Here are some great ways to do just that including self-care ideas and affirmation techniques
- Epic 5-minute Self Care Tips for Working and Stay-at-Home Moms
- Discover the Epic Power of Affirmation when You’re an Overwhelmed Mom
- Best Self Care Ideas for Busy Moms + Powerful Morning Affirmations
lots of Love
Lots of love is exactly what every new mom needs. This helps to build strong family relationships and limit anxiety and depression.
Having love and support ensure a family’s calm and balance and improve communication skills. As a new mom, it is very important to feel loved, boosting your self-belief and trust in your own abilities as a mom.
As a new mom, you also need to know you are surrounded by people who not only love you but are there for you, ready to support you emotionally whenever you need it.
This will build your confidence as a new mom and improve the quality of your overall family life.
As a first time mom, we often feel overwhelmed and anxious. Everything we do is new and sleep deprivation makes it seem even more difficult. But when we are persistently encouraged we manage to deal a lot better with all these challenges.
So, be sure to encourage a new mom to help build her self confidence and relieve stress. This will also help to strengthen the mom-baby bond and limit possible postnatal depression.
The one skill every new mom need to perfect is trusting her own instincts.
No one knows a baby better than his or her own mother. And pregnancy prepares a mom with amazing brain and body changes to be an awesome mom.
You can read everything about how pregnancy changes the size of your brain.
All we need to discuss now is an easy action plan to improve these building blocks, for
- first-time moms and
- also first-time dads
action plan for first-time moms
The action plan for new moms include
- add superfoods to every meal
- welcome support from your loved one
- don’t try to be a superhero, learn to ask for, and accept help
- learn to trust your mom instincts
- no one knows your baby better than YOU
- read trustworthy pregnancy resources
- get some sleep …
And, when you want to be a better mom, join the Awesome Parent Challenge. It’s a free 7-day email course to help you boost your parenting awesomeness.
action plan for first time dad
Best ways for a husband to support a first-time mom
- spoil her as much as possible
- and it’s not about buying diamonds … although this might also help … but rather about the little things like making a cup of tea or running a bath
- help her get some sleep
- by taking over at least one of the night feeds
- remove pressure whenever possible
- avoid situations adding stress like inviting your entire family over for lunch
- help with baby
- take over small tasks like bathing and feeding whenever possible
- thereby building a strong bond with your baby
- allow me-time
- ensuring a new mom has a couple of minutes every day to take care of herself will make a massive difference to her mood and emotional stability – and therefore your’s dads!
- offer to help baby while she takes a long shower or goes for coffee with a friend
- cuddle, hug and make her feel special
the 4 things every first-time mom needs
There you have it, the 4 building blocks of that one thing every first-time mom needs
- Healthy mom and baby
- Emotional support
- lots of Love
- Persistent encouragement
And the two easy action plans. Implement them today and enjoy the experience of being a first mom or dad.
Please leave a comment
- and let me know what scares you most about being a first-time mom or dad or do you have awesome first-time mom tips to share
Read the other posts in the That One Thing series
More Top posts
- How You can Raise a Brilliant Child using 8 Powerful Actions
- Be an Awesome Parent using 7 Super Effective Parenting Strategies
Save and share this post
Save it in your favorite mom life or parenting board on Pinterest and
follow the best parenting board to stay up to date with the best parenting tips and hacks